Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Catchin' Up on the Cutcha Uppin'

Where to start where to start where to START.

For approximately the last month I volunteered to be lead animator and do night shifts on a music video production here at LFS. 99% of the video is stop-motion animation, something I've been wanting to get back into since college. We used thousands of beads to make it, along with the most man hours possible on two workstations in a 3-week period. I was becoming somewhat disheveled by the end of it all.
Animating in that style (or hand-drawn, for that matter) was great --- it feels so much more natural and you can do just about anything that your mind can come up with. I'm becoming increasingly more frustrated with digital animation everyday. Yes, it is more convenient, less mess and less costly, but it's so much nicer not having to rely on plugins or processing power for what you want to do. Want to turn a guitar into an angler fish? How about having a guy jump into the frame and suddenly dissipate into a ripple of water? Easy! There's so much more risk involved that gives you such a rush when you see how a shot actually managed to work out well. While the video hasn't made it online yet (I will be providing a link to it when it does), here are a couple of my favorite screenshots that I worked on.





The whole video all clocks in in just under 3 minutes. It's very... rock rappish. For all of you who happen to be fans of beading and Kevin Rudolph, GET FUCKING PUMPED!

More posts coming this week! I can promise you that much, my son.

xoxoMark

No comments: